Keeping your Vehicle Safe in Winter
Snow, sleet, and ice are common occurrences in Michigan during winter. That’s why it’s important to winterize your vehicle. Winterizing your car will protect it from harsh winter weather and make it much safer for you to drive. Here are some winterizing tips to get you started.
- Check Battery: Check your battery to make sure it has the juice to withstand the cold. Your battery will need to work harder in cold weather to hold its charge. If it’s 4-5 years old, you may want to replace it with a new one before winter comes.
- Top off Fluids: Top off your fluids to ensure your vehicle runs smoothly in cold weather. This includes engine oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid. Check antifreeze to ensure it’s at the right ratio with water, 50/50, to prevent freezing during winter months.
- Inspect Windshield Wipers: Inspect your wipers to make sure they’re capable of clearing your windshield of snow and ice. Poor blades will reduce your visibility on the road.
- Examine Tires: Make sure your tires have ample tread to keep you safe when traveling on sleet, ice, and snow. If you plan to travel extensively around Muskegon, MI during winter, consider getting winter tires to enhance safety on the road.
- Test Heater and Defroster: Make sure your vehicle’s heater and defroster are working properly as they are essential to surviving winter travels in Michigan.
Winterizing your vehicle protects your car from hazardous winter weather and helps it perform better so you can enjoy safer travels during this time of year. Auto insurance coverage from Janis-Shunta Insurance will also protect you and your family during your winter holiday travels. To learn more about auto insurance options and costs, contact an agent from Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI today.