Click to Call  Mortgage change form
Janis-Shunta Insurance

950 W. Norton #500
Muskegon, MI 49441

Get Directions

Janis-Shunta Insurance Blog

What is covered under condo insurance in Muskegon, MI?

Condo insurance can be confusing in Muskegon, MI. Unlike regular homeowners insurance, individual condo insurance probably doesn’t cover the physical building. It can be confusing where your responsibility ends when it comes to liability. At Janis-Shunta Insurance, we enjoy helping our clients learn how condo insurance can protect them.

Here are the three basic kinds of condominium coverage:

  • Damage to the physical building: Most people who own a condo share at least part of the physical space with other units. Even if you live in an area where the units are separated, there is likely at least some common shared space. A clubhouse or pool may be part of the shared space. As an individual condo owner, you are not personally responsible for those areas. The condominium association should have its own coverage for shared areas, including the shared floor, ceiling, and walls.
  • Damage to your personal possessions: Anything you own and keep in your condo is part of your personal property. This may include carpeting, curtains, furniture, and small and large appliances. It also includes clothing, books, electronics, and other personal items.
  • Personal liability for any injuries that occurred as a result of being on your property: Besides covering your personal property, your individual condo insurance will protect you in cases of personal liability. For instance, someone could visit you and trip and fall in your condo. Your insurance will help protect you if you are sued for those medical bills. 

The most important thing to keep in mind is that your coverage protects you within your four walls, while the condo association is responsible for the rest.

If you have a condo in Muskegon, MI, it is important that you have the right kind of protection. Call Janis-Shunta Insurance today so we can give you your options.