Understanding auto insurance policies can be daunting. Learning the basics can make it easier to go through when you start searching for policies. Once you know the basics, you’ll be able to sift through your policy with a better perspective. In Muskegon, MI, Janis-Shunta Insurance is equipped with expert agents that are ready to help you navigate your way through an auto insurance policy.
What is Auto Insurance?
Auto insurance gives you protection for just-in-case situations. You may never need it, but you’ll be glad the insurance is there if you ever find yourself involved in an accident. There is certain insurance coverage that is required based on your state, and if you live in Michigan, you must have a no-fault insurance policy that protects you from being sued in certain circumstances.
What is No-Fault Insurance?
No-fault insurance is mandatory in Michigan and it is required by law. This type of coverage includes three basic sections.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) — is coverage that pays for medical expenses. This policy has no limits.
- Personal Property Insurance (PPI) — will pay up to $1 million if you damage someone’s vehicle or other property.
- Residual Liability Insurance (RLI), also known as Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability — acts as insurance that starts when you are sued. There are several ways that you can be sued where you will need an RLI: You have an accident that results in someone’s death, your accident was with someone who is not from Michigan, or you’re in an accident out of the state.
Whether you are in Muskegon, MI or in the surrounding area around Norton Shores, you should visit Janis-Shunta Insurance. There are expert agents that can offer you advice and information regarding auto insurance policies. You can also ask about home, commercial, life, and boat insurance. Contact our office for more information.
If you don’t properly maintain your car, a minor issue can turn into a huge problem that can affect your ability to commute back and forth to work. You may not have realized it, but not servicing your car and addressing issues as needed can affect your car insurance as well. At Janis-Shunta Insurance, serving Muskegon, MI and the surrounding region, we can help get the insurance required by law and protect you from incidents, whether caused by you not maintaining your car, negligence, or various other problems.
Accidents Caused by Car Malfunctions
Let’s say you didn’t maintain your car properly. You end up getting into an accident because your car stopped in the middle of the highway. This could lead to an accident that’s deemed your fault. Once you have an accident, it’s possible for your insurance to go up. This is just one example of an issue that could occur and lead to an accident if you don’t properly maintain your vehicle.
Laws Regarding Car Maintenance
Although laws vary from state to state, you often have to take care of certain issues on your vehicle or you’re at risk for getting in trouble with the law. You could find yourself having to pay a higher insurance premium if you get caught, especially multiple times, for not taking care of your vehicle.
Moving to Another State
If you move to another state, you may need to get your car inspected. If you can’t afford to make the necessary repairs, you could find yourself in legal trouble if you continue driving your car without an up-to-date inspection, which could end up raising your insurance.
Get a quote by contacting Janis-Shunta Insurance, serving Muskegon, MI and the nearby region, by calling us at 231-737-0000 or 231-744-0400.
Buying a new car can be exciting. However, making sure that your new car is properly insured can help expand that enjoyment in the future. Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI would like to help you with your insurance needs.
Before You Buy Your Car
If you are carrying a loan on your new car, most lenders will require that you have insurance on your car before leaving the dealership or car lot. It is a good idea to have your insurance representative aware that you are purchasing a new vehicle so that you can get insurance set up quickly the day of the purchase.
What Type of Insurance?
If you will be making payments on your vehicle, it is usually required that you carry full coverage insurance. Full coverage insurance is always the best option because it protects the driver in every way possible. If you are at fault in an accident, or even if you are not at fault, full coverage will protect you from expensive vehicle repair costs and liability from other drivers.
Is Liability an Option?
Liability coverage is an option if you are not making payments on the car through a lender. However, this type of insurance does not cover repairs or replacement of your car in the event of an accident. This will only cover liability if you are the cause of an accident which causes damage or injury to another person.
Amounts of Insurance
Before settling on a plan, make sure you are comfortable with the coverage amounts. Many people are under the impression that because they have insurance, they are covered for an unlimited amount. This is not the case. Your coverage is limited to the coverage amounts you choose.
If you would like to learn more about insuring your new car, call Janis-Shunta Insurance today serving Muskegon, MI and surrounding areas.
Keeping your Vehicle Safe in Winter
Snow, sleet, and ice are common occurrences in Michigan during winter. That’s why it’s important to winterize your vehicle. Winterizing your car will protect it from harsh winter weather and make it much safer for you to drive. Here are some winterizing tips to get you started.
- Check Battery: Check your battery to make sure it has the juice to withstand the cold. Your battery will need to work harder in cold weather to hold its charge. If it’s 4-5 years old, you may want to replace it with a new one before winter comes.
- Top off Fluids: Top off your fluids to ensure your vehicle runs smoothly in cold weather. This includes engine oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid. Check antifreeze to ensure it’s at the right ratio with water, 50/50, to prevent freezing during winter months.
- Inspect Windshield Wipers: Inspect your wipers to make sure they’re capable of clearing your windshield of snow and ice. Poor blades will reduce your visibility on the road.
- Examine Tires: Make sure your tires have ample tread to keep you safe when traveling on sleet, ice, and snow. If you plan to travel extensively around Muskegon, MI during winter, consider getting winter tires to enhance safety on the road.
- Test Heater and Defroster: Make sure your vehicle’s heater and defroster are working properly as they are essential to surviving winter travels in Michigan.
Winterizing your vehicle protects your car from hazardous winter weather and helps it perform better so you can enjoy safer travels during this time of year. Auto insurance coverage from Janis-Shunta Insurance will also protect you and your family during your winter holiday travels. To learn more about auto insurance options and costs, contact an agent from Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI today.
The state of Michigan requires you to have no-fault insurance, which covers both injuries and damages that have been caused by accident regardless of who was at fault. It will also need to include the following types of coverage:
- Personal injury protection
- Property protection
- Residual bodily injury/property damage coverage
While the state of Michigan requires you to have certain minimums, there are additional options that can give you extra coverage.
What Michigan Drivers Can Include on Their Auto Insurance Policies
Auto insurance companies in the state of Michigan give you several options that you can add to your policy. There are 3 main types of collision policies from which you can choose:
- Limited Collision Coverage – If you’re less than 50% at fault for a car accident, your insurance company will pay for the cost of repairs after the deductible. But if you’re more than 50% at fault, you’ll have to cover the cost yourself.
- Standard Collision Coverage – Your insurance company will pay for repairs after the deductible.
- Broad Form Collision Coverage – Has the same rules as the limited coverage option, but the deductible doesn’t apply.
While collision coverage is a great way to cover a vehicle if it has been involved in an accident, other options can help you:
- Comprehensive Coverage – Covers damage to your car if it didn’t involve an accident (such as collisions with animals).
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist – Can protect you if you have been involved in an accident that was caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Towing and Labor Coverage – Covers towing costs and other types of labor if you were involved in an accident.
- Rental Car Coverage – Covers the cost of a rental car if your vehicle was damaged because of an accident.
Be sure to speak to someone at Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI to get more information on what’s available.
Reliable Auto Insurance in Muskegon, MI!
If you want to get a reliable auto insurance policy that will get you the coverage you need, the people at Janis-Shunta Insurance can help you. We can get you a policy that will meet state-required minimums, and we can present you with additional coverage options that can give you an extra layer of protection. If you want to find an auto insurance policy that will meet your needs and fit your budget, feel free to contact our office today!