Buying a new car can be exciting. However, making sure that your new car is properly insured can help expand that enjoyment in the future. Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI would like to help you with your insurance needs.
Before You Buy Your Car
If you are carrying a loan on your new car, most lenders will require that you have insurance on your car before leaving the dealership or car lot. It is a good idea to have your insurance representative aware that you are purchasing a new vehicle so that you can get insurance set up quickly the day of the purchase.
What Type of Insurance?
If you will be making payments on your vehicle, it is usually required that you carry full coverage insurance. Full coverage insurance is always the best option because it protects the driver in every way possible. If you are at fault in an accident, or even if you are not at fault, full coverage will protect you from expensive vehicle repair costs and liability from other drivers.
Is Liability an Option?
Liability coverage is an option if you are not making payments on the car through a lender. However, this type of insurance does not cover repairs or replacement of your car in the event of an accident. This will only cover liability if you are the cause of an accident which causes damage or injury to another person.
Amounts of Insurance
Before settling on a plan, make sure you are comfortable with the coverage amounts. Many people are under the impression that because they have insurance, they are covered for an unlimited amount. This is not the case. Your coverage is limited to the coverage amounts you choose.
If you would like to learn more about insuring your new car, call Janis-Shunta Insurance today serving Muskegon, MI and surrounding areas.
Keeping your Vehicle Safe in Winter
Snow, sleet, and ice are common occurrences in Michigan during winter. That’s why it’s important to winterize your vehicle. Winterizing your car will protect it from harsh winter weather and make it much safer for you to drive. Here are some winterizing tips to get you started.
- Check Battery: Check your battery to make sure it has the juice to withstand the cold. Your battery will need to work harder in cold weather to hold its charge. If it’s 4-5 years old, you may want to replace it with a new one before winter comes.
- Top off Fluids: Top off your fluids to ensure your vehicle runs smoothly in cold weather. This includes engine oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid. Check antifreeze to ensure it’s at the right ratio with water, 50/50, to prevent freezing during winter months.
- Inspect Windshield Wipers: Inspect your wipers to make sure they’re capable of clearing your windshield of snow and ice. Poor blades will reduce your visibility on the road.
- Examine Tires: Make sure your tires have ample tread to keep you safe when traveling on sleet, ice, and snow. If you plan to travel extensively around Muskegon, MI during winter, consider getting winter tires to enhance safety on the road.
- Test Heater and Defroster: Make sure your vehicle’s heater and defroster are working properly as they are essential to surviving winter travels in Michigan.
Winterizing your vehicle protects your car from hazardous winter weather and helps it perform better so you can enjoy safer travels during this time of year. Auto insurance coverage from Janis-Shunta Insurance will also protect you and your family during your winter holiday travels. To learn more about auto insurance options and costs, contact an agent from Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI today.
The state of Michigan requires you to have no-fault insurance, which covers both injuries and damages that have been caused by accident regardless of who was at fault. It will also need to include the following types of coverage:
- Personal injury protection
- Property protection
- Residual bodily injury/property damage coverage
While the state of Michigan requires you to have certain minimums, there are additional options that can give you extra coverage.
What Michigan Drivers Can Include on Their Auto Insurance Policies
Auto insurance companies in the state of Michigan give you several options that you can add to your policy. There are 3 main types of collision policies from which you can choose:
- Limited Collision Coverage – If you’re less than 50% at fault for a car accident, your insurance company will pay for the cost of repairs after the deductible. But if you’re more than 50% at fault, you’ll have to cover the cost yourself.
- Standard Collision Coverage – Your insurance company will pay for repairs after the deductible.
- Broad Form Collision Coverage – Has the same rules as the limited coverage option, but the deductible doesn’t apply.
While collision coverage is a great way to cover a vehicle if it has been involved in an accident, other options can help you:
- Comprehensive Coverage – Covers damage to your car if it didn’t involve an accident (such as collisions with animals).
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist – Can protect you if you have been involved in an accident that was caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Towing and Labor Coverage – Covers towing costs and other types of labor if you were involved in an accident.
- Rental Car Coverage – Covers the cost of a rental car if your vehicle was damaged because of an accident.
Be sure to speak to someone at Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI to get more information on what’s available.
Reliable Auto Insurance in Muskegon, MI!
If you want to get a reliable auto insurance policy that will get you the coverage you need, the people at Janis-Shunta Insurance can help you. We can get you a policy that will meet state-required minimums, and we can present you with additional coverage options that can give you an extra layer of protection. If you want to find an auto insurance policy that will meet your needs and fit your budget, feel free to contact our office today!