Click to Call
Janis-Shunta Insurance

950 W. Norton #500
Muskegon, MI 49441

Get Directions

Janis-Shunta Insurance Blog

Does Home Insurance Cover Vandalism?

Homeowners take many measures to protect their investment and prevent financial losses as a result of accidents and unexpected events. The best way to protect your home from the unexpected is to purchase insurance coverage that will protect you from a variety of incidents. For example, if your home is vandalized, you need to know that your insurance will have you covered. 

Vandalism Coverage

Most quality insurance policies will cover your home in the event that it is vandalized. You must still be vigilant when purchasing insurance and ask your agent whether or not the policy includes vandalism coverage. Not all policies are the same, so always ask about different scenarios including vandalism. Also, inquire about protocol when submitting a claim to help expedite the process. 

Purchasing Home Insurance

Not all insurance is the same, which is why you need a skilled and knowledgeable agent working with you to help you get the coverage you need. If you are a resident living in or around the Muskegon, MI area, you can rely on Janis-Shunta Insurance to work with you closely to give you the results you need. We can help you build a policy that fits your lifestyle and protects your home and possessions from unforeseen events and covered perils.

If you would like more information about home insurance and what it covers, call or stop by Janis-Shunta Insurance. We serve residents living around the Muskegon, MI area. We can help prevent gaps in coverage that could mean financial losses in the event of a vandalism to your home. Don’t risk leaving your home unprotected. Get the peace of mind you need so you can rest easy knowing you are covered. 

Protect Your Toys in Michigan with Recreation Insurance

The outdoors are filled with opportunities for fun and adventure. Having the “toys” to enjoy Michigan’s summer and winter activities make it more enjoyable to live here. Whether you have a boat, RV, jet ski, or other recreational vehicles, it is essential to have them protected with appropriate insurance. While Michigan does not require that a boat, for instance, be insured, it is wise to protect it in case it is damaged or vandalized. Also, recreational insurance will also give you liability coverage if you accidentally damage someone else’s property. The agents at Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI fully understands the types of outdoor activities most people participate in so you are able to make sure that you have the coverage you need.

If you enjoy the outdoor life, it’s important that you protect your equipment from damage or theft. If your boat or ATV is damaged or destroyed, with a good insurance policy, you will be able to have it repaired or even replaced. It is vital that you spend a little time with your agent so that you fully understand what is covered and what isn’t. Given how you use the vehicle, there may be several different policy options to choose from. Also, if the boat, recreational vehicle, or ATV is only used a few months of the year, there may be a clause allowing you to defer coverage while it’s not in use. These are things that the agents at Janis-Shunta Insurance can help you with. You can find more information through our website or you can visit our offices for personalized service. 

Reach out to our agents to learn how to get a quote and get started on a policy.

Can an Umbrella Policy Help Pay Medical Expenses for an Auto Accident?

Being injured in a car accident in Muskegon, MI can be an overwhelming experience. From trying to focus on your recovery to communicating with insurance agencies, even a minor injury can be stressful. One thing you shouldn’t have to worry about is whether or not your insurance is going to help cover any medical expenses. Let’s take a look at how insurance works and what types of policies from Janis-Shunta Insurance can generally be used to pay for medical expenses incurred from being in a car accident. 

Personal Liability 

Personal liability coverage on a vehicle can be used to cover medical expenses. Your policy, however, has a limit on it. If your expenses exceed your limit, then you will have to dip into your pockets to cover the debt. Many drivers choose to get the minimum amount of personal liability coverage required by their state. Even though doing so is enough to keep them legally on the road, it is often a good idea to increase the coverage. For example, if your current personal liability coverage has a limit of $30,000 and your medical expenses exceed this amount, then you will, of course, wish that you had purchased extra coverage. 

Umbrella Insurance

You also have the option to invest in an umbrella insurance policy. This type of insurance can be used if your existing auto policy is exhausted, such as your medical bills exceeding their limits. It is important to understand that umbrella insurance cannot be used without an existing auto policy. It simply acts as a supplement, not an actual insurance policy. 

Underinsured Motorist

There may be some instances in which underinsured motorist coverage can be tapped into to pay for medical expenses. This is usually allowed if your injuries exceed the limit of the payout given to you by the at-fault driver. 

To learn more about insurance and medical expenses, contact Janis-Shunta Insurance today serving the Muskegon, MI area. 

Coverage Options for Drivers in the State of Michigan

The state of Michigan requires you to have no-fault insurance, which covers both injuries and damages that have been caused by accident regardless of who was at fault. It will also need to include the following types of coverage:

  • Personal injury protection
  • Property protection
  • Residual bodily injury/property damage coverage

While the state of Michigan requires you to have certain minimums, there are additional options that can give you extra coverage.

What Michigan Drivers Can Include on Their Auto Insurance Policies

Auto insurance companies in the state of Michigan give you several options that you can add to your policy. There are 3 main types of collision policies from which you can choose:

  • Limited Collision Coverage – If you’re less than 50% at fault for a car accident, your insurance company will pay for the cost of repairs after the deductible. But if you’re more than 50% at fault, you’ll have to cover the cost yourself.
  • Standard Collision Coverage – Your insurance company will pay for repairs after the deductible.
  • Broad Form Collision Coverage – Has the same rules as the limited coverage option, but the deductible doesn’t apply.

While collision coverage is a great way to cover a vehicle if it has been involved in an accident, other options can help you:

  • Comprehensive Coverage – Covers damage to your car if it didn’t involve an accident (such as collisions with animals).
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist – Can protect you if you have been involved in an accident that was caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
  • Towing and Labor Coverage – Covers towing costs and other types of labor if you were involved in an accident.
  • Rental Car Coverage – Covers the cost of a rental car if your vehicle was damaged because of an accident.

Be sure to speak to someone at Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI to get more information on what’s available.

Reliable Auto Insurance in Muskegon, MI!

If you want to get a reliable auto insurance policy that will get you the coverage you need, the people at Janis-Shunta Insurance can help you. We can get you a policy that will meet state-required minimums, and we can present you with additional coverage options that can give you an extra layer of protection. If you want to find an auto insurance policy that will meet your needs and fit your budget, feel free to contact our office today!

How Is Condo Insurance Different From Regular Policies?

If you’re thinking about investing in a condo, there are a few things you might not have considered. One of them is insurance. You might be thinking that condo insurance is just like home insurance, but there are some key differences. Janis-Shunta Insurance has those differences spelled clearly for you. So, if you want a home away from Muskegon, MI, keep these things in mind.

Your Responsibility

The biggest difference in insurances is what belongs to you. With a house, you own the building, everything in it, and the surrounding property. With a condo, you don’t even technically own the building (usually). Instead, you’re only insuring what is inside the walls. This usually applies to personal belongings, furniture, fixtures, and appliances. Since you’re responsible for less with a condo, your policies can be less expensive as a reflection of that. However, that isn’t the whole story, and other factors can have a large impact on your premiums.


Every condo is different, but it’s a common practice for a condo to remain unoccupied for large swaths of time. This is the trickiest part of condo insurance. Most insurers won’t cover a home with no permanent occupants, and a lot of companies shy away from condos for similar reasons. It may sound counterintuitive, but unoccupied buildings are at a greater risk of damage and theft. The amount of time your condo spends empty can dramatically impact the cost of insurance. A few things can help with this. If your condo has professional security, it can reduce risk for insurers and might lower premiums. Condo sharing services (think Timeshare) can also lower risks by keeping the property occupied on a regular basis.

In the end, the best way to truly understand your options for condo insurance is to talk to an expert. Janis-Shunta Insurance has representatives serving Norton Shores and Muskegon, MI. Have a simple conversation and see what works best for your condo.

My Home Insurance: What is Covered and What isn’t?

Most people consider insurance policies a necessary evil. Though paying the premiums when they come due can be frustrating, it’s a great feeling to know you are covered if and when disaster decides to strike. Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI believes in being completely transparent when it comes to policies, premiums, deductibles, and coverages. You should be educated on some of the problems that may arise that are not covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy. 

  • Mold – Mold is a problem that can generally be prevented with proper maintenance and preparation. If you see moisture in an odd place, get to the source of the problem and fix it before it gets out of hand. While some insurers offer additional coverages for mold damage, most basic policies do not cover the nuisance. 
  • Termites – Another preventable problem that you can get ahead of is termite infestation. The damage these little critters can do over time is debilitating to a home’s foundation and structure. Having a pest control company inspect your property can ensure that your home doesn’t fall victim to the voracious appetite of termites. 
  • Nuclear Power Plant Accidents – There is nothing any homeowner can do to prevent a nuclear plant accident. Nonetheless, most insurance policies do not cover damage caused by one. The federal government’s Price-Anderson Act does help ease the pain by maintaining a multi-billion dollar pool to compensate citizens who have experienced sickness, injury, or property damage.

Hopefully, you won’t have to worry about any of these threats damaging your Michigan home. But, with a little bit of knowledge and some basic preventative actions, you will be prepared to take proper action if it does. Contact the agents of Janis-Shunta Insurance in Muskegon, MI for more information